Ropetown

Is wheel a curse?
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Diablo 3 Auction House
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:39 pm 

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/26397-the-auction-house-explained/

Making real $ being a nerd. Gotta love it....or get a real job and buy yourself to PVP glory

Post subject: Re: Diablo 3 Auction House
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:02 pm 
Ropetown

dont like the idea, but what i really dont like is i just read you will be able to buy and sell full characters in the future with the AH, thats just stupid...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:16 pm 
Ropetown

awwwshummm!

I really think people will end up liking it ac2ly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:17 pm 
Ropetown

this was already the situation in d2 it's just made safer/easier now

no reason to dislike it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:10 pm 
Ropetown

There's really no reason more MMOs and other multiplayer games haven't adopted EVE's model of an in-game currency that translates to RL money. Rich players in EVE can directly add gametime to their account through an in-game item that other players purchase with RL money and sell in-game for EVE money. This has made CCP so much money because rich players tend to be really rich, so they run 4+ accounts on just in-game cash instead of keeping one account they pay for with RL money. CCP gets cash for each account regardless (and more actually because there is purchased-but-unused subscription time floating around) and players have a safe method of transferring RL money to in-game cash without resorting to shady gold sellers. It's a great system with no downsides and I'm not surprised at all to see Blizzard considering something somewhat similar. Don't be surprised if eventually WoW ends up with something like this; I'd be astonished if Titan didn't ship with this feature included.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:00 pm 
Ropetown

IDK, i guess in the big picture it was already happening and it does protect people, but i cant help to see its a bit of a "sleezy" move on blizzard part because they get a cut of everything...

ill be intrested to hear about the kid who makes 150k in one year and doesnt pay taxes and gets thrown into jail or something stupid :P

they ban mods but now you will have people running 3rd part AH apps to try to "beat" the ah. I know they are trying to solve 1 problem but i just see it moving to another problem, plus introducing more well off people to being able to buy gear rather then "earn" it. I guess power too them, but it sours the idea of getting lucky for that really cool item for me a little.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:01 pm 

This is what games are evolving to though, microtransactions. Look at xbox, psn, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:06 pm 
Ropetown

i agree, HoN just went free to play, and i understand and like that model because you don't need to buy those avatars or items for your account. a game like diablo or if it gets into the mmo type games will probably ruin them for me.

Not that i expect games to be designed for what i like, this is just a personal opinion.

Then again maybe part of me is jealous that the thousand of hours I've spent gaming i never had this opportunity to make some cash along the way :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:18 pm 
Ropetown

Why would it ruin it for you when this is almost exactly how the game is already except ran by random people who don't own the game?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:18 pm 
Ropetown

Its just diffrent i guess from the typical "dont sell items in game" and i guess it feels shady too me. Whats stopping them from injecting new armor sets when AH transctions slow and they want a bump in income.

Im sure the game will still be fun, and i understand it was happening before, but its like saying, look we know athletes do PEDS, so instead of stopping it we will allow them AS LONG as they buy them from the league.

Maybe my opinion will change, and im not claiming i wont play, but its diffrent.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:26 am 
Ropetown

TiG wrote:
Whats stopping them from injecting new armor sets when AH transctions slow and they want a bump in income

The community/press would fucking maul them, even more than they did over the Facebook/real name stuff

What they're doing is actually pretty sane if you've looked at the D2 community within the last uhh decade or so

I think they know better than to ever cross that line, especially after the hilarious EVE uproar when it looked like CCP were taking that route

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:37 am 
warrior jesus

I'd rather blizzard get money from item sales than the random ass guy who created d2jsp and created "forum gold" out of mid air

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:05 am 

Ziggurat wrote:
I'd rather blizzard get money from item sales than the random ass guy who created d2jsp and created "forum gold" out of mid air

This. Also as far as MMO's having an AH like this in the future I believe that no amount of money will ever buy a skilled player unless they put in time and play the game. Maybe they can pug and do heroics and bgs and stuff among the nubs. The best gear will always be rewarded from arena and hardcore raiding.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:16 am 
Ropetown

Zen wrote:
Ziggurat wrote:

This. Also as far as MMO's having an AH like this in the future I believe that no amount of money will ever buy a skilled player unless they put in time and play the game. Maybe they can pug and do heroics and bgs and stuff among the nubs. The best gear will always be rewarded from arena and hardcore raiding.

Actually, i've gotten most of my gear from RBGs, not arena.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:32 am 
Ropetown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E452S_fJwA&feature=player_embedded#t=540