Ropetown

Is wheel a curse?
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Computer Build feedback / suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:24 am 

Currently working on my new computer build and i think i have everything that i need, will hopefully be purchasing it next week so any final suggestions would be helpful. Trying to keep the price around $600 (currently $570) so please refrain from suggestions like "hey you should get a GTX 570 cause its better (although it costs $400)" will more than likely be ignored. I'm also for the most part an Intel / Nvidia fanboy so any suggestions towards ATI or AMD will more than likely be disregarded due to bias :D

I plan on keeping the stock cooling system so I'm not too thrilled about overclocking but if you think i can get away with it I'm all ears. My biggest concern right now is fear of bottle necking one of the components, but i don't think it will happen.

Spec:

Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-H61M-D2P-B3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 (2 PCI-E 2.0 in case i ever decide to run SLI)
CPU - i5-2300 Sandy Bridge 2.9Ghz Quad Core
GPU - GeForce GTX 460 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Power Supply - Apevia Java 650W 12V
RAM - Mushkin Enhanced 4GB DDR3 (2x2GB) (debating on going 8GB but haven't found any good deals as of today)
HD - Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (may be salvaging my 500GB HD from my old rig if i don't sell it)
Case - Raidmax Aura ATX-927WB (i'm not a huge fan of Raidmax but i want a stylish case with a nice LED and out of all the cases under $60 this got the best reviews)

Post subject: Re: Computer Build feedback / suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:46 am 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220558
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131730
Hope you're getting an EVGA. I recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130555 (it's the one I just bought in December)

That mobo/ram upgrade is going to be a huge performance boost over stuff you've posted. I haven't calculated budget but I think it might be closer to 700. Otherwise what you're getting looks fine, assuming you're just using it for wow/other games and not things like video editing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:54 pm 
Ropetown

I would get a power supply from a better brand. e.g. Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic.

I would also spend a few extra bucks and get the 2500k.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:17 pm 
Ropetown

DobDob wrote:
I would get a power supply from a better brand. e.g. Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic.

I would also spend a few extra bucks and get the 2500k.

This, especially the power supply thing & those brands

Cheaping out on a power supply can either end up with your machine constantly crashing & spending a week figuring out why and taking it apart and putting it back together until you finally just go get a different power supply anyway, or with all of the components inside your computer being pretty much fried and useless. It's never worth the price difference to risk it (and typically they go on sale so often that there isn't a price difference)

Also you can probably typically overvolt a little bit even w/stock coolers (though idk specifics about processors in the last year or so) and it will help there too if you ever feel like tweaking. Even just a cheap-ass 3rd-party heatsink+fan and some Arctic Silver go a pretty long way tho

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:09 pm 
Ropetown

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153130&Tpk=thermaltake%20power%20supply%20800w
this is what i use never crash and prolly the best brand you can use.I just dunno your price range or i would have more imput.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:55 pm 
Ropetown

lol i guess my eyes missed the price range sorry : O