Ropetown

Is wheel a curse?
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Alliance Shamans and Horde Paladins!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:53 am 

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6154421.html

Hurray?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:22 pm 

I see a lot of views, but no replies.

Yeah, I was left speechless too when I first read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:40 pm 

GG, Blizz. Way to fix faction imbalance in the stupidest way possible.

Quote:
Blizzard Entertainment has revealed a very significant development that will accompany its upcoming World of Warcraft expansion pack, The Burning Crusade. Blizzard has also outlined the reasoning for the changes, which are founded in the game's fantasy lore.

As announced previously, the expansion will add two new playable races, the Alliance's pale-skinned Draenai and the Horde's Blood Elves, who originally appeared in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. The additional lore that Blizzard has released explains key characters from each race's past have affected their societies--and these effects will translate into a considerable shift in gameplay.

Specifically, a key figure from the Draenei's past, the priest Nobundo, apparently drew inspiration from the vision of one of his race's noble leaders. According to the Warcraft universe's lore, the Draenei suffered attacks by the orcs. Some, like Nobundo, fled, and abandoned their priesthood to study the primal forces of nature in Outland, the new otherworldly realm that is part of the expansion pack.

Likewise, the cruel Blood Elves will find new opportunities, thanks to their forebears, including the fanatical Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider and the wizard Astalor Bloodsworn. These key figures used a captured Naaru, one of the ethereal beings that infused the Draenei with "the Light"--the Warcraft universe's version of priestly power that infuses priests and paladins--and conducted various magical experiments on it. As a result, the Blood Elves were able to manipulate the creature's essence so that the fanatical warriors of their own ranks, known as the Blood Knights, were able to wield the same sort of holy power.

So what does all this background mean in terms of gameplay? Simply put: In The Burning Crusade, Alliance players can play as Draenei shamans, while Horde players can play as Blood Elf paladins. Previously, players on either side weren't able to access those character classes: paladins were exclusive to the Alliance, while shamans were exclusive to the Horde. According to Blizzard, Horde paladins and Alliance shamans will have many of the same talents of their traditional counterparts, though they "will also enjoy some unique abilities to themselves, similar to the priest class' racial specialties." Since this new feature will fundamentally change the asymmetry between the game's two factions, it will presumably have a significant impact on the way the game is played, especially in competitive player-versus-player combat.

The Burning Crusade is the highly anticipated expansion pack for Blizzard Entertainment's critically acclaimed 2004 massively multiplayer role-playing game, World of Warcraft. Blizzard hasn't confirmed a final release date for the expansion, though representatives have suggested that the studio is aiming to release it this year.

Also, from the Blizzard website:

Quote:
As we draw closer to the release of World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade, more of the secrets shrouding the draenei and blood elves are being revealed. In the upcoming expansion, players will finally be able to play classes that were previously unavailable to their faction: the blood elves have harnessed the power of the Light for their own needs, supporting the Horde with renegade blood elf paladins. Meanwhile, the draenei have been granted the wisdom and strength of the elements, and some among the newest members of the Alliance now follow the path of the shaman. Read on to learn more about the new class combinations available to players of World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade.

Stealing the Light
Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider and his blood elves waited until the newly arrived naaru departed Tempest Keep. He had little interest in what the naaru hoped to accomplish on this shattered world: it was Tempest Keep that had brought him here. At the prince's signal the elves stormed the dimensional fortress, quickly defeating its automated defenses and claiming its satellite structures. The only real threat the elves discovered was a lone naaru who had stayed behind to maintain the keep's defenses. With some difficulty, Kael'thas subdued the energy being and sent it to Quel'Thalas so that the magic-addicted blood elves could feed upon it.

Back in the capital city of Silvermoon, Magister Astalor Bloodsworn was not content with this idea. After long months of study and experimentation, he and his fellow wizards learned how to manipulate and corrupt the naaru's luminous energies. In the end the wizards devised a process by which the powers of the Light could be transferred to recipients who had not earned such abilities. Instead of feeding upon the naaru's magic, the blood elves would wield the naaru's Light-given powers themselves.

Lady Liadrin, formerly a priestess, had recently renounced her vows, for she felt the Light had abandoned her people. She learned of the wizards' achievement and volunteered to be the first to bend the stolen powers to her will. With her decision a new order was born: the Blood Knights. These renegade paladins are able to harness the sacred powers of the Alliance's noblest heroes.

Most members of the Blood Knights were once part of the Royal Guard – proud defenders of high elven society who came to believe that the Light had failed them in their hour of greatest need. They see their appropriation of the captive naaru's powers as well-deserved justice.

Although Warchief Thrall and High Chieftain Cairne Bloodhoof openly opposed the blood elves' methods, they recognized the Blood Knights' strategic value. Indeed, it is likely that the group figured heavily in the Horde's ultimate decision to offer membership to the blood elves.

Blood elf paladins have swiftly grown confident in their borrowed abilities. Nevertheless, as even the most inexperienced mage will attest, when powerful forces are manipulated against their intended purpose...

The consequences can be perilous.

and..

Quote:
Velen's Vision
In recent years, Velen, the noble leader of the draenei, was granted a vision...

In it he saw the Broken: formerly healthy draenei who had devolved during the orcs' murderous crusade to wipe out the draenei race. According to Velen's vision, the Broken would rise to power once again and aid their displaced brethren.

Velen's vision was given substance in the form of Nobundo, a one-time draenei priest who had devolved while the orcs decimated his race and tore the planet apart. Like his fellow Broken, Nobundo had lost contact with the Light, and so he ventured far into the deserts of Outland to meditate and pray for guidance.

After decades of silence, an unfamiliar voice finally answered his prayers. It was not the Light that whispered to him, but the wind. The breeze spoke to him of lost truths, of the might of the elements – of the delicate balance of power embraced by the shaman.

Nobundo listened eagerly and learned all he could. When he judged the time was right, he departed the desert determined to use this knowledge to help the draenei race. However, most draenei refugees greeted the sight of a Broken with skepticism and outright prejudice. Only one of the healthy draenei did not shun the Broken: the wise and perceptive Velen.

Velen had heard the philosophy of the shaman before, but Nobundo revealed new truths. The elements were timeless; they stretched across the cosmos to inhabit every world they touched. With the proper training, the draenei might learn to wield this overlooked, seemingly inexhaustible source of power.

Velen rejoiced to realize that his vision was coming to pass. Accordingly he took Nobundo with him when he and his fellow refugees took possession of the naaru satellite structure Exodar from the blood elves. Thus it was that Nobundo journeyed with the draenei to the world of Azeroth.

Nobundo found that unlike the desolate wastes of Outland, Azeroth possessed abundant elemental energies. He shared his knowledge of shamanism with the draenei on Azeroth, and all who adopted its path flourished.

The time for the draenei shaman to test themselves draws near, for the battle against the Burning Legion is once again at hand. And the fate not only of Azeroth, but of all worlds, hangs in the balance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:44 pm 

At least PvP will be balanced with WF, BoK warriors and rogues rampaging.

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:57 pm 

Leveling 1-60 wile everyone else is grinding 60-70 will be fun =/.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:02 pm 

fugi wrote:
Leveling 1-70 wile everyone else is grinding 60-70 will be fun =/.

Fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:17 pm 

Buzz wrote:
fugi wrote:

Fixed.

I worded it that way kinda to show by the time people are 70 you will be 60 and still need to grind :P. Figured it was kinda self explainatory. Anyway yes you are correct =[.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:17 pm 

fugi wrote:
Buzz wrote:
fugi wrote:

Fixed.

I worded it that way kinda to show by the time people are 70 you will be 60 and still need to grind :P. Figured it was kinda self explainatory. Anyway yes you are correct =[.

I understood what you were saying, but I'm a dick. What else can I say? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:09 pm 

I worry about the longterm ramifications of such a move. Unless Raid group size increases, we will no longer have the 40man split by 8 classes making 5 per class(who does that anyway? but this is for the post)

Now they'll be 9. BUT its not something that is pure numbers, but rather, preference. When will horde start having to decide should we bring a shaman or a paladin? Should we bring a druid or a paladin? Even with this fix, we are left with unresolved issues that will, again, hurt endgame because it will still be about class and preference.

With limited spots who wouldnt take a paladin over a shaman in their current forms? I would even prefer a paladin over a druid as it stands now.

Alliance will too feel the effects. People will level and gear shamans only to realize that the raidgroups would rather take a paladin over a shaman. They will probably stick to PvP but still suffer the same problems.

Of course all this assumes the current PvE situation with the classes and the 40man raid group limit. Although not so much with the 40man part because even if it was 50 I would still prefer a paladin over a shaman, but it would just allow more 'dead space' to be filled.

It'll be interesting to see. Maybe they'll nerf paladins. Maybe they'll buff shamans. In either case, this is not a fix but a bandaid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:25 pm 

hi lillith2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:38 pm 

Hi Murdo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:24 pm 

Come join Doubleyou and I in our quest for greatness on Executus. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:42 pm 

Shaman fix.

Totems hit entire raid.

Blizzard <3's quick fixes. Kthxbai.

I'm joking, but, I shudder that something like that might happen. Would be hilarious to see how the raid moves with something like this active.

Something else I've been curious about with Sham+Paladin, will BoS and TranqAir stack? omgyesplz =D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:56 pm 

Blailus wrote:
Shaman fix.

Totems hit entire raid.

I'm joking, but, I shudder that something like that might happen. Would be hilarious to see how the raid moves with something like this active.

Something else I've been curious about with Sham+Paladin, will BoS and TranqAir stack? omgyesplz =D

if you read the patch notes, BoS and TA will stack multiplicative(sp?) not additive. Meaning they'll stack, but not as much as you'd hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:13 pm 

lillith2 wrote:
Blailus wrote:
Shaman fix.

Totems hit entire raid.

if you read the patch notes, BoS and TA will stack multiplicative(sp?) not additive. Meaning they'll stack, but not as much as you'd hope.

That was a big word, lillith! /congrats